free hit
counters
Dessicant dehumidifiers - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mik

Dessicant dehumidifiers

Anyone have any knowldege / recommendations?

Fancy getting one for the garage. Easy enough in summer to put the car away wet and leave the door cracked open for a few hours, but not so effective in winter.

- Think I want a dessicant one.
- Definitely want a permanent drain tube.
- May wall mount it, but it definitely needs to be able to run shoved up against a wall, so nothing that needs specific cleanance at front/back.
- £notalot is good

Cheers!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In case anyone looks back on this - Found a big thread on Pistonheads.

This one gets positive feedback. Wall mounting bracket for another £20.

Hi Mik, I have a single skin garage that is plaster boarded inside and the walls leak slightly. The Scottish West coast climate is not ideal. Over the years have tried a carcoon with heater , a dehumidifier but still had condensation issues and a wet car wouldn’t dry. Was advised to improve ventilation so I put a vent at the back of the garage and now have a flow of air as the door has gaps in it. 

The better ventilation improved things drastically so no longer have problems , though I am not driving my car this winter. I pine for a heated garage directly connected to my house. 

• Like 1

Increased ventilation definitely helps, even if you think that doesn't make sense!

And if you're looking for a dehumidifier, then make sure it's the type that can operate in low temperature, some don't. My domestic dehumidifier won't operate at low temps, @Bibsmight well have a view on them.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Compressor dehumidifiers need the ambient temp to be over 18 degrees and are noisy. Dessicant ones will work above 2 degrees are are quiet, definitely the smart choice.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/dc12/ecoair-dc12-dehumidifier

I've got that one, it's on 24 hours a day as I live in a 300 year old house which has (had) a damp problem. Currently I empty the 10l about once a week, it turns itself on and off as required so if very efficient. I've had a couple now and that's head and shoulders the best one. The air intake is on the rear so just have the front facing the wall, that works for me :)

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I have the EBAC version of the one Bibs has in my garage and it works very well, had a few years now and when used over a winter I can wheel out the car in the spring and there won't even be any rust on the brake discs. We live on a hill in the Dartmoor National park so things can get pretty damp up here. Would highly recommend one of these.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/powerdri-domestic-dehumidifier/

Thanks all.

@Mark Blanchard - can that ecoair model be wall-mounted? Or can it at least be run placed up beside a wall?

Mik, if you're wall mounting, you'll want to fit the drain hose as all the ones I've had have had a tank which is removed from the front. The drain hose doesn't completely block off the tank, a few drips will make it in but you'll have to empty it annually rather than weekly.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

i got a dessicant dehumidifier a few years back to dry out my sodden and rapidly mouldering mustang..  worked a treat!   it also has a heating mode where it blows slightly warm air.   i`m not sure what the make and  model is but i can take a look. 

@Bibs yeah - I want to fit the perm drain tube. Which then means it is staying where it’s put, so it just seems logical to me to stick it on the wall (?). Garage skirting boards are about 25mm wide, so wall mounting it moves it a smidge out of the way. 

Just read about the desiccant dehumidifiers - A quick for those in the know - Do they run continuously or do they cut out the a set humidity level is reached? Asking as I like the idea of heating the garage as well but I notice they do take rather a lot of juice to run them. My compressor one cuts out at specified humidity levels which makes it quite cheap to run.

The one I have does, but not all do. My previous one would go to 'fan only' to purify the air once the required humidity is reached.

Due to the process involved, I believe most dehumidifiers warm the a couple of degrees. Not much, but a little. 

Evora NA

The one we use is a S.L.I.M ,   During the summer and late season in Japan your cloths dry out on the line within the hour, due to temp and wind blowing  however in the winter it is a diiferent matter so we use the dehumidifier  or however you spell it lol,,  the water collector part must fill up well over 1.5 litres during the night when we put the put the washing inside above this bit of kit,  to be honest i am not keen on themm as they suck the moisture out of the air for normal living, but to dry coths or cars i highly recommend.

If i had known how much moiture these things suck out of the air i would of put one in a garage years ago :thumbup:

A

I bought this a few weeks ago as we experienced damp issues in the house. I've been very impressed with it, and it's easily maneuverable with its wheels. Simple settings and it cuts out once the water tank is full (alternatively you can connect to a permanent drain)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wdh-122h-12r-12ltr-dehumidifier/72503?tc=VA1&ds_kid=92700020969993654&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249404&ds_rl=1248151&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6JjgBRDbARIsANfu58Hzq9iB1NokUZ3OAzK9JeI4mUkQfkX5xKiA0fmEk8Wat1gdzafUcU0aAsvMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just ordered one.

Meaco DD8L Junior

Desiccant.
Continuous drainage option
Wall mount
Quiet & efficient
3yr warranty

cheers all :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, london_v said:

I bought this a few weeks ago as we experienced damp issues in the house. I've been very impressed with it, and it's easily maneuverable with its wheels. Simple settings and it cuts out once the water tank is full (alternatively you can connect to a permanent drain)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wdh-122h-12r-12ltr-dehumidifier/72503?tc=VA1&ds_kid=92700020969993654&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249404&ds_rl=1248151&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6JjgBRDbARIsANfu58Hzq9iB1NokUZ3OAzK9JeI4mUkQfkX5xKiA0fmEk8Wat1gdzafUcU0aAsvMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

That is the one I have. It works a treat.