free hit
counters
Engine Cooling and Heater - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rob C

Engine Cooling and Heater

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for that-its always good to be proactive on things like this..

I checked mine last night and the pump is working, and the relay is too (it had a 5 pin instead of a four but that's fine-the 87a pin was wired as the alternate state rather than the linked (same) state.)

Next I would like to check that the sensor is OK but that can wait for a dry day.

• Like 1

Think you will find that its normal sensor that brings in the Cooling fans. On that subject My car has an override switch to manually switch the fans on with a warning light.

Note the take off point in the wiring is an negative Wire not a live.. look at the AirCon Drawings

tip 2

use the unused Fuel Filler flap to trickle charge the battery

On 09/12/2018 at 14:19, Rob C said:

Think you will find that its normal sensor that brings in the Cooling fans. On that subject My car has an override switch to manually switch the fans on with a warning light.

Note the take off point in the wiring is an negative Wire not a live.. look at the AirCon Drawings

tip 2

use the unused Fuel Filler flap to trickle charge the battery

I now wonder How many V8 owners have had or do have any problems with there cars Heater,  The info about that Water Pump was brought about because my heater had stopped working.

I spent a lot of time looking at my car, that meant removing each seat in turn and actually lying on the floor with a torch and finding out where all the Parts were located, NOT EASY.

So having done all of that and noting where the Vacuum operated Recirc Valve, was, which I removed and tested, because I could. and inside the boot behind the Power Steering Reservoir the Vacuum Tank and ONE Solenoid Valve ( Which was DUFF) replaced with  one from a Vauxhall Astra 1.7turbo Diesel (boost controller). So Note Guys, I have all the data now in my PC on the Heater, which is Not in the manual.

Faulty Part.jpg

Interesting stuff @Rob C,  I may be picking your brains later on with regards to my non existent heater.

My car is early '96 and the recirculation pump has operated just once after a rather spirited run on a hot summers day, frightening the shit out of me coming on a good few minutes after shutdown, and loud too, which is something I may need to look at, but at least it works.

The other issue, my recirculation valve was in the early reversed orientation, (working the flow against spring pressure) this can cause heater bypass issues, I've now changed its orientation but still need to rework the relay to solenoid wiring, but also noticed a small stone dent on the valve body which may have also restricted valve operation. I haven't had the chance to test anything yet.