free hit
counters
Manual vs paddle shift auto V6 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rossco'sRaceCar

Manual vs paddle shift auto V6

I'm looking at getting into an exige in the near future. Likely starting with the 350 sport a doing some upgrades from there.

If there is anyone who have driven both manual and paddle shift on the v6 power plant, how did you find them? What did you go with and why?

Reason I am asking is because after driving the 350 sport paddleshift over the weekend I actually really liked the driving style it produced. And found there was more time better spent on corners focusing on throttle input and steering. The only thing I wasnt sold on was the shift response wasnt as sharp as what I would have liked..Btw that's the 1st paddle shift I have really driven.

Now I have always been a manual driver and I expected I would buy a manual exige. But this has me thinking - could this be a better proposition for this car...

I know it largely comes down to personal preference. But what I am really after is just some other points of view.

Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A lot has been written on this subject in other threads so having owned a V6S IPS , a 380 Sport and now a Cup 430 my views are:

The IPS box works better in paddle shift mode on road in sport settings as it will downshift too aggressively in auto. On Track this is less of an issue and is in fact useful as it auto blips. I hardly ever used the auto change mode and much preferred the paddles.

The shifts are a little slow but so what !  you just adjust your shifts and change a split second before you need to. On track it can be of benefit as my 380 was a pretty frantic place to be with a manual box and I do not think it would have been any slower on track with an IPS box. 

If the 430 Cup had come with the Evora Auto box I would have had it. 

I think the benefits on track are that you can maintain more consistent lap times and on road you can just stick it in Auto and waft around. 

It is not in Porsche’s PDK league but that doesn’t matter it is a perfectly functional and acceptable gear box with the bonus of a standard oil cooler and 2nd hand they are great value 

Thanks Tex. I did notice the shifts were a little slow even when I sport mode. But you soon adjust to this a just shift that fraction earlier than usual.

I did notice it responds and feels better to being changed before it hits redline.

The rematch function is also a big plus.

Is there any after market chips availible that can speed up shift times? Not that it's a big deal.

Part of me would like a manual but part of me likes the focus the IPS unit allows.

I can only comment on the manual box in my 380, every gear change is an event, like loading a rifle. You can feel the engineering behind it. I like that. The exposed linkage is art.

My m3 had the dct box, that was great on track and relaxing on road, made fast driving easy but required little engagement. I have heard the ips is not to the standard of a dct gearbox.

I guess it depends on what you are expecting from the car.. to be engaged/involved in the experience or not (as much)

I’ve recentky purchased an Exige V6 roadster, I’m really impressed with the box, when pushing on, the changes are very fast, and accompanied by a little ‘crack’ from the exhaust, as you said, it seems to work better changing before the red line.

There is  a slight delay between the paddle press and change, but I really don’t notice it anymore (it’s certainly quicker than me and the manual box in my last Evora S) and to be honest, I do enjoy the auto in the Exige more, as the Evoras box was a bit hit and miss I really. I enjoy the downshift blips as well. I love having my hands on the wheel all the time. 

Glad you are enjoying your Exige James👍 , seems only 5 mins ago that we were having the same type of discussion before you took the plunge and bought yours :)

I think the IPS Exige is coming into its own now, more people are seeing the benefits, of which there are quite a few as previously discussed!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, duncx said:

Glad you are enjoying your Exige James👍 , seems only 5 mins ago that we were having the same type of discussion before you took the plunge and bought yours :)

I think the IPS Exige is coming into its own now, more people are seeing the benefits, of which there are quite a few as previously discussed!

Really pleased with it :) Finally stopped raining today, so ‘popped’ out to the shops 5 minutes away, and was gone for an hour.... Such a good car to drive! 

11 hours ago, Tex said:

If the 430 Cup had come with the Evora Auto box I would have had it. 

I asked them to do it, they refuse.

12 hours ago, Rossco'sRaceCar said:

I'm looking at getting into an exige in the near future. Likely starting with the 350 sport a doing some upgrades from there.

If there is anyone who have driven both manual and paddle shift on the v6 power plant, how did you find them? What did you go with and why?

Reason I am asking is because after driving the 350 sport paddleshift over the weekend I actually really liked the driving style it produced. And found there was more time better spent on corners focusing on throttle input and steering. The only thing I wasnt sold on was the shift response wasnt as sharp as what I would have liked..Btw that's the 1st paddle shift I have really driven.

Now I have always been a manual driver and I expected I would buy a manual exige. But this has me thinking - could this be a better proposition for this car...

I know it largely comes down to personal preference. But what I am really after is just some other points of view.

Thanks.

I had a 2016 Lotus Exige S with the IPS and now have the 380 Cup with the manual. Honestly I prefer the IPS. It was pretty slow shifting, like you press up and it takes around a second for it to shift so you always need to shift a second earlier than you want to. The manual gearbox looks great and I guess I enjoy it sometimes but i drive the car daily and in traffic i always wish i had my paddle shifts. I've only been on track once with the car and my shifting was so crap I think my Exige S was like 5 seconds faster around the track. Obviously the more I track the better my shifting would be but I really do wish I had an auto.

But then again, I'm a bit old school and i love how raw and basic the exige is, manual suits it better.

Ok so sounds like both transmission have their own little quirks. I personally found the ips unit quite a good setup on the exige 350. Escpecially with the rev matching on the down shifts dound sweet!

Given that I want the exige yo be as fast as possible point to point, I am leaning toward the ips.

Also given there is no power assisted steering I get the feeling the car could become a bit of a handful of trying to get a quick gear change in before a corner. IPS also keeps balance centered more so.

Anyone know if there are chips availible yo speed up the latency between shifts on the IPS?

2 hours ago, Rossco'sRaceCar said:

Ok so sounds like both transmission have their own little quirks. I personally found the ips unit quite a good setup on the exige 350. Escpecially with the rev matching on the down shifts dound sweet!

Given that I want the exige yo be as fast as possible point to point, I am leaning toward the ips.

Also given there is no power assisted steering I get the feeling the car could become a bit of a handful of trying to get a quick gear change in before a corner. IPS also keeps balance centered more so.

Anyone know if there are chips availible yo speed up the latency between shifts on the IPS?

BOE allegedly have an upgrade to the IPS. Not sure if the upgrade is hardware or software.

cheers

@Rossco'sRaceCar

My feedback :

Sometimes if the constraint is important on the car (hard braking and turning the car) the down shifting is really slow, and the "automatic rev matching" does not occurs.

In this particular corner for example :

- if I stay  in 3 before the corner and only downshift once, it works quite fine , but if you listen carefully you will notice that the "rev matching" is not perfect (based on the abnormal sound) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dutGv6a4a6I&t=86

- if I stay in 4 before the corner and downshift twice, you will see that the "automatic rev matching" is not done and the downshifts occur (without feeling anything) when I am in in the middle of the corner (this is why I lost the control of the car) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBTjg1BklO8&t=79

Another example here of abnormal downshifting :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dutGv6a4a6I&t=106