free hit
counters
1974 Europa 5 SPEED GEARBOX - Europa - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Ian Mathieson

1974 Europa 5 SPEED GEARBOX

Hi Everyone , Im currently getting my 365 5 speed gearbox rebuilt and it appears that the threaded section of the selector input shaft may be too short to fit the 5th gear / reverse cam onto it. ( The part outside of the gearbox with the spring and ball acting upon it )

I have spoken with Richard from Banks and he suggested that they do break at the point where the hole is drilled through for the C pin / Roll pin.

Does anyone out there have a spare one in good condition or can anyone advise me of the length of the threaded section.

Mine does not have a hole in it nor does it look like it had a hole at any time and broke.

Any advice appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ian, there may be some confusion: The cam that acts on the ball and spring is secured by a nyloc nut and the thread/shaft for that is barely long enough to reach the 'end' of the nut when its tightened up - no roll pin there. The roll pin is on a different shaft and that is the one where you connect the gear linkage.

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick... or shaft 😃 

Hi PhilT , 

Thanks for your input.

After a further conversation with Richard at Banks Service Station it turns out that on my particular car , the threaded part of the gearbox shaft had a thick washer or spacer on it which when the "cam" was then slid onto the thread caused the nyloc nut to be only just partly turned onto the thread , and like you say , no where near allowing the nyloc part to bite.

He tells me this washer should not be there.

Regards the "C" pin / Roll pin , Im pretty confident that the cam is fitted onto the tread and located by such pin otherwise it would just spin around the threaded shaft. 

Richard was going to confirm the length of the shaft last week so I will have to chase him up for this info.

Ive got the Engine and gearbox fully rebuilt  " apart from this little problem " and I want to get the gear linkage as sweet as possible to make the car enjoyable to drive and use on a regular basis.

Fingers crossed it turns out well.

Cheers Ian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ian Mathieson said:

Regards the "C" pin / Roll pin , Im pretty confident that the cam is fitted onto the tread and located by such pin otherwise it would just spin around the threaded shaft. 

Correct :thumbup:

LOTUS EUROPA TC/TCS PARTS MANUAL

Section FL -- Transmission -- Shift Mechanism (365)

FL.gif

• Like 1