free hit
counters
50/50 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi All,

I am beginning to understand the love you all have for Lotus but I'm also torn with the anagram 'Lots of Trouble Usually Serious'. Yes they're beautiful cars and I am sure they a great fun to drive but how many of you have spent a small fortune due to faults with your cars? Just to be clear that's faults not desired upgrades :) 

There is another reason behind my question - other than a salesman doing his best to be as awkward as hell. We have an 18 plate Elise sprint 220 in Orange that keeps looking at me! It would be a day to day car not convinced I'd attempt a track yet. I am tempted but am I going to get myself in a hole?

Tom

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do it. Buy it and don’t look back

I've had four Elises over the past 12 years, usually do between 3 and 4K miles each year, never had a significant problem. I replaced the rear dampers on my 111R at 30K miles and on my latest Elise 25

I've now had my Esprit SE for a Little over 5 years. Pure pleasure. Never let me stand on the road side. Never needed to be towed. It's from 1990, so near 29 years old, and what's gone

Posted Images

You’ll end up loving owning your own Lotus Tom and what better way to get to really understand what you’re selling. Chances are you'll then start to go on the club drives and get really into the marque like we all have here. I would have thought work would become a pleasure if you’re not there already, and earning more money would become easier and easier as your knowledge builds, your reputation grows and it will all become part of the hobby😉

Don’t get me wrong their cars can be trying at times and aftersales with a new car with any issues you have needs to be far slicker than it currently is but their coming along kicking and screaming away from their old ways.......probably as a result of greater investment behind the scenes.

But being part of the Lotus marque is bigger than that - I personally think it’s unique having been involved in other marques, clubs etc over the years. Go for it👍😎

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen. I'm definitely looking forward to getting more involved with the brand and you're right owning one will certainly help. It's just a shame Lotus aren't on the company car scheme otherwise I'd be driving home in one :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have an S4 Esprit. I must admit to having done some research beforeI bought mine. Even then, of the few things it has thrown at me, any of them could have happened no matter what brand of car I owned.

I can admit that I have loved having it for every day I have had it.

A lot more could go wrong (expensively) with an Esprit before an Elise, I would think.

Do what @Barrykearley said.

• Like 2

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I've owned many, many Lotus cars since the 1960s and whilst the "Lots of trouble........................" description had some validity years ago, my experience is that it no longer holds true and probably hasn't done since the 1990s and the first Elise. My last 3 Lotus cars of the modern era, an Elise SC, Exige V6 and currently a 410 Evora, have probably been the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

Dont get hung up on outdated prejudices, if you want a Lotus, just get one and enjoy one of the finest handling cars on the road today. 👍

In my experience, they do come out of the factory with niggles but that's what the warranty is for. In my experience, Lotus are working hard to make everything perfect to meet my very high expectations.

Could be worse, could have spent a fortune on a McLaren or a porsche and had very expensive issues.

I remind myself, it's a hand built, low number, performance car with a small development budget compared to some of the cars it is matched to and holding its own.

Thats not bad going.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

JUST DO IT!

Almost 4 years ago I bought my first Lotus, a 2010 Evora NA. I fell in love with that car (still am) and bought a Type116 2 years ago.  In April of this year I traded my very reliable NA Evora in for a brand new Evora 410 Sport.  I've done 5k miles in it in 6 months and I love it. 

Apart from a cosmetic issue, fixed under warranty, it has been 100% reliable. It is well screwed together. Sounds like nothing else. And makes my knees go weak every time I see it.

I have never spent, nor did I ever think I would ever spend, that much wonga on a car.  Don't regret a penny and just love it.

Oh, and my Type 116 is almost 18 years old. 57k miles. Super quick and a hoot on the track.

Lotus have been making great, reliable cars for years. It's just a well kept secret!

Have you bought it yet?

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I'm 62 years old and I bought my first Lotus six months ago; a beautiful early Elise S2 in Calypso Red. It's the best thing I've ever bought and I get a huge thrill every time I open the garage door and see it there waiting for me. And of course getting into it and driving it gives me an even bigger thrill. What I didn't realise is that when you own a Lotus you become part of a real fraternity, whatever model you happen to own. Go for it Tom, you won't regret it.    

• Like 2

One of the members, Iain Ogilvie, has covered 260,000 miles in his S1 Elise.  He did need a new head gasket at 180,000 miles and that's about it apart from regular maintenance.

What does cause problems is leaving the car standing for long periods of time.  Use it regularly and it will like it.

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Owned my Esprit turbo for 16 years, of which 5 of them she has been my only car. Only things I’ve spent on her due to failure as opposed to upgrade were:

exhaust manifold

Distrubutor pick off

clutch slave cylinder

rear suspension damper

radiator and cowling

OS fuel tank

Only the exhaust manifold was an expensive fix and that was because I got a garage to do it. In my opinion the more you drive them the better and more reliable they are.

Don’t forget that all car forums are about discussing issues with your car which can lead to a negative outlook however, i doubt anyone on this forum would suggest not buying a lotus.

good luck in whatever you decide to do.

• Like 2

Hi Tom, 

When you buy a Lotus, you buy into a lifestyle full of like minded enthusiasts, there are very few cars available with a soul, but all Loti have it, I don't know where it comes from, maybe the racing heritage, maybe the individually of each car, but when you drive a Lotus you become part of that experience, part of the machine. There is one reoccurring complaint... I wish I hadn't sold it. 

As said...you won't look back.

• Gold FFM

I can only echo the others: just do it! 😎

I have used my current 1989 Esprit as a daily driver for the last 3.5 years, and covered almost 40k miles. Lots of fun and enjoyment, very little trouble. Only limited normal wear and tear, apart from some upgrades of my own choosing.

Worst was a rusty fuel tank, but that's the only rust problem on an almost 30 year old car. Other than that, consumables like tires, battery, waterpump and shocks. A cracked coolant hose had me on a difficult search earlier this year. Like everything else, I repaired it myself at very little cost. With a more recent car, I don't expect you toe have any such issues the first years. Only lots of fun. ;)

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

The 'Lots of Trouble' thing was, as said, more relevant 30+ years ago. You'll find you'll need very little work done other than routine servicing and little niggles nowadays on a modern Lotus.

The smiles you'll get back, the slowest deprecation of any UK car (officially), and just being the coolest kid in town will make that new Elise of yours will make you very happy.

Make sure you post some pics of your new car! :thumbup:

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

@Jeanvm no, it wasn't easy. Especially since it was done without a lift, just put the car in the garage on blocks so I could just crawl under. It took about 1.5 days, half of which I had help from a friend. We rebuild the water pump with an improvised press and did the timing belt (including changing the cam pulleys) at the same time. So not too bad, especially for a first time.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.