free hit
counters
Elite Riviera - Trying to find present owner - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Peter H

Elite Riviera - Trying to find present owner

Hi,

Just sifting through some old paperwork and found information relating to my uncles old Lotus Elite.  The car was bought secondhand in Weymouth and was on number plate NYF 686Y but later became 31 HOT.  I wondered if the present owner might like what I have (bill of sale, manual (copy) and guarantee as well as some old owners club info.  Please feel free to get in contact here or on 07515 501119. 

Hope to be of help to someone. 

Peter

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

HI, thanks for responding.  It was a white Elite with red leather interior.  Remember it had the Riviera graphics on the upper rear quarters.  I think it had a removable roof but that could have been the previous one he owned.  

Will have a look through the docs and see if I can find the VIN. 

3 hours ago, Dunc said:

White one with red interior?

If so its a TLF car, but havent seen the owner post for a while.

Yes! 

Peter - thanks very much for posting - a very nice thing you did

I know it, or rather knew it, very well as it my Dad's company car when new.   Mark Britton (Loose Cannon) did some research into Rivieras and determined that this one was in the Len Street showroom in Chelsea and got sent back to the factory for the Riviera upgrades and then went back to Len Street where we saw it. I think we had it until 1984 only

I saw the car about a year ago at Lakeside Engineering and I think it is Henry that owns it now.  He was doing it up and had it in a barn in Oxfordshire somewhere.  In fact I think Mark might have gone to see Henry....and I am sure he would love the information.

If we can't get hold of him can I very politely suggest that maybe you could eave it with me or someone else for safe keeping until we can get it to him ?  It would be nice to hold with the car.

Happy to do this.  I’m based in London but the paperwork is in Weymouth currently. I’ll be able to get it over Christmas and bring it back so could meet somewhere in early Jan.  I wouldn’t mind seeing it again one day - I’ve many memories of being collected from school in it back in the 80s. 

I'm in central London daily if you need someone to drop the info with. Happy to hold onto it until Henry shows up. I might even have Henry's details on the register to allow me to post them on.

(I apologise that I cant give out address details if he is on the register without his express permission).

Duncan

Hello Peter, if Henry is still the owner he lived in Corsham, Wiltshire with his parents at the time where I saw his car, but it may be elsewhere now. I'm sure he would love to hear more about the car (as would we!)....do you have any pictures from this period in time?

IIRC He was effectively given the car for free by his former teacher and I think he had to retrieve it from a large overgrown hedge that that had engulfed it!

I'm not really in touch with the 4 seater world any more so don't know how far he got with the restoration but it was rather tasty with the oxblood red seats. It also featured in Lotuses promotional advert for the Riviera version.

Was your uncle Don Stevens? I had some corrspondance from him where he called the car "the Pride of Dorset" and he sounded like a fantastic larger than life fellow! A shame it fell into disrepair but that seems to be the fate of most Elites.

PM me if Henry doesn't chime in and you want his parents address.

Lotus Elite Riviera advert.JPG

elite riviera FRU649Y (12).jpg

• Like 1

Hello everyone and happy new year.  Sorry for the break in communication but I’ve been all over the place. Thanks for the messages - really interesting and a little bit emotional to see the actual car.   Now have the various bits of paper in London and a Corgi Lotus Elite model which belonged to Don (blue rather than white!) which I’ll pass on too.  If anyone wants to get hold of me please give me a call on 07515 501119 and I’ll be happy to meet up.  I’m in London every day and based in Stratford but can easily hope on the Central line or high speed.