free hit
counters
Cost of a New Interior - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
drdoom

Cost of a New Interior

Greetings,

Yesterday evening I was at last able to meet with a prospective upholsterer chap to discuss the business of re-upholstering my S2 in restoration. He freely admits to not having done an Esprit (surprise!) but is altogether forthright and experienced, in my estimation. I have left with him a portfolio of interior photos, most of which were kindly shared by members of TLF ( many thanks again! ), and he will confer over them with one of his acquaintances in the field believed to have done perhaps 2 Esprit over time. I would welcome any insights on the subject broadly and, in particular, as to the time one might reasonably expect is required to re-do the lot in leather.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Steve,

In 2017 , I have asked some quotations for reupholstering the chairs of my Esprit S2.2 in leather ( So not the whole carinterior. )

I know , it isn't of any use in Vancouver but I can give you some examples :

excl transport, removal and installation of the chair and excl taxes 21% VAT ( Belgium) :

Eca  : http://www.eca.be/nl/home-1.htm  1290€ for the two chairs (excl 21% VAT)  full leather choice out of 28 colors. This is without renewing the foam

ICT nv - Interior car tuning : http:// www.ictnv.be : around 1200€ for the 2 chairs ( excl 21% VAT )

Deca https://www.deca-autobekledingen.be/ 425€ ( excl 21% VAT) / chair  so 850€ for the 2 ( without renewing foam)

In the end I still didnt decide, because my interior still has the original connolly and I did redye it broken white. It is beautiful when just cleaned but the leather shows its age and becomes difficult to maintain. But it IS the original leather so ....????? undecided. All other panels are redyed too and are in a very good condition.

The foam in the seats is also still very strong. This must have been quality material , they used in 1980

Geert

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

Also consider the source of your leather. Must be the correct grade.

In the UK, I was able to get leather from a modern Lotus leather supplier (Andrew Muirhead) and it was not that expensive. 3 full hides IIRC but I might be one out there.

If I were to do mine again, I might consider bespoke seat inserts, perforated steering wheel (in the end, it remains original) and alcantara or the like instead of leather in places such as the binnacle and center armrest.

Most of the padding and foam was kept.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Thank you, gents! Simon, do you have a link for Muirhead?

12 hours ago, drdoom said:

Thank you, gents! Simon, do you have a link for Muirhead?

Well, looks like some site maintenance is ongoing but this seems to work - http://www.muirhead.co.uk/home/Main.aspx

I also have a load of samples sent before the order went in - they were very helpful indeed . There are no doubt cheaper options but My trimmer said the thickness was very uniform with minimal defects to cut around.

Not sure if you can currently search the site though.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Thanks, Simon, the website is found though without links to sample images. I suppose one should not rely on digital images in the course of figuring which way forward, in any case. I've asked my prospect for samples, will see what he can bring forth.

I have a second, very promising prospect for the upholstery work and will meet with her tomorrow. On the matter of material required would the consensus be 2 or 3 hides?