free hit
counters
Evora 400: Would a bad battery cause CEL/MIL/stall condition? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
xxaarraa

Evora 400: Would a bad battery cause CEL/MIL/stall condition?

Hello,

2017 Evora IPS with ~10k miles. Upon startup last Saturday, I got a constant CEL and transmission MIL. Car ran smoothly and shifted normally. Went to autozone and they pulled:

• P1613: Secondary air injection system driver
  • U0401: Invalid data received from ECM/PCM

They cleared the codes and the transmission MIL went away but CEL remained. So I purchased a better scanner (Innova 3100i) and pulled codes again myself. This time, I pulled:

• P0174: System too lean (bank 2) - generic stored
  • P0101: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range / Performance - generic stored
  • P0700: Transmission Control System (MIL request) - generic stored
  • P0174: System too lean (bank 2) - generic permanent
  • U0401: Invalid data received from ECM/PCM - generic permanent
  • P1613: Secondary air injection system driver - generic permanent

I cleared the codes again with the new scanner, and the CEL disappeared. Car ran fine. For a day. 

Then on Monday morning, I started car, backed out of driveway, then as soon as I put it in "D" the car stalled. I could not do anything to get it into D or N, it was stuck in R. Key was stuck in ignition. Car however was in neutral since it kept rolling without e-brake on. 

Had it towed to Lotus. They did their diagnostic and claim it was a bad battery. They replaced battery with a new one, reflashed the TCU and ECU software and car now runs fine. 

I don't buy it???? Would a bad battery cause the electronics to go haywire and car to stall? Right before all these things, car did sit for 3 weeks as I was out of town. However, I ran it for about a 100 miles of around town driving after getting back into town and it ran fine, started fine. Besides, when car is running, wouldn't alternator be able to handle any load from electrical components?

If it doesn't sound like a battery related issue, any guesses as to what could cause this? Incidentally, this car did the same thing once for the previous owner last September, per service records. All they did last time was reflash the software also. 

Here is the RO from Lotus after car was fixed.

MVIMG_20181212_184021.jpg

MVIMG_20181212_183934.jpg

Edited by xxaarraa

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ive not had it stall but did have the 'xmas tree' dash lights due to a week battery before now and it does throw random spurious codes.

A few weeks before my battery died I had some odd electrical-related behaviour, like windows not re-closing when door shut and warning lights on but no faults.  When they're beginning to fail the battery capacity, voltage and ability to hold charge can fluctuate, so it might start the car but won't give full voltage or has intermittent drops.  If you're regularly going to leave it standing for a few weeks it's worth putting it on a battery charger/conditioner.

Dodgy battery = Car possessed !

Really, a dodgy battery in an Evora causes all sorts of weird behaviour so it is entirely possible.

And if the problem remains with fresh battery, check the main grounding point. I had to replace the main grounding braid. 

Edited by #84

1 hour ago, #84 said:

And if the problem remains with fresh battery, check the main grounding point. I had to replace the main grounding braid. 

Battery was replaced and I have driven the car about 75 miles since then. No CEL/MIL now, but I now have an airbag/SRS light. 

Any pointers on where to check the grounding point? I will research this. I didn't think the stereotype about the British being horrible with wiring was still true in the 21st century, but some things remain true I suppose :)

Thanks everyone in this thread for answering my question, appreciate you sharing your experiences. 

First of all, give it a week or so, starting/driving the car at least ten times. Windows not properly closing requires several re-starts once the battery is sufficiently charged. I don't know why. I think the grounding point is on the left side in the engine bay, where you have the battery. You can connect a starting cable from minus on the battery to the engine to test the hypothesis.

Then have in mind, an aluminum monocoque with plastic/alu body panels and steel fasteners here and there is a different "galvanic animal" compared to a normal car where everything has electrical contact via the body.

It's a common issue that the airbag light comes on after changing the battery - you have to swap it over in about 45 seconds or less to avoid that!  It can be reset by a dealer in 5 minutes or if you have the right ODB2 scanner and app you can do it yourself.  Some ODB2 setups can't access it, so if you take it to your local mechanic they may not be able to do it.  There's a thread on here somewhere about scanners that are known to work.

Windows not properly closing can be reset by closing the door, holding down the window switch for 3 seconds after the window is completely down, then holding up on the window switch for 3 seconds after it is fully up.

I had  issues with my 400 a couple of times when it had sat in garage for 2 or 3 weeks and I had forgotten to put the trickle charger on.

Didn't run smoothly until up to temp and cruise control wouldn't work.

Both times when I had charged battery overnight it ran perfectly so I put it down to low battery voltage. 

On 14/12/2018 at 17:28, TomE said:

It's a common issue that the airbag light comes on after changing the battery - you have to swap it over in about 45 seconds or less to avoid that!  It can be reset by a dealer in 5 minutes or if you have the right ODB2 scanner and app you can do it yourself.  Some ODB2 setups can't access it, so if you take it to your local mechanic they may not be able to do it.  There's a thread on here somewhere about scanners that are known to work.

Windows not properly closing can be reset by closing the door, holding down the window switch for 3 seconds after the window is completely down, then holding up on the window switch for 3 seconds after it is fully up.

Does this reset the windows 'auto down' function and 'ajar' open mode when opening the door or does it do more than that?

The sequence with the window switch just resets the door open window drop/close setting

I've been told on numerous occasions battery voltage is critical for modern cars as the computers have a limited range. I had a friend who bought a new CITROEN last year, it was end of model, and about 2 years old although it had been a demo it was more a showroom car. When my friend went to collect it from the interstate dealer it had a quite a few fault codes. After 3 hours of frustration at my suggestion they changed the battery and, bingo the codes cleared all but one, a service light that turned out to be an indicator assembly(go figure).

Moral of the story a Battery Conditioner is your friend unless the car is a daily.

• Like 1

OK new battery was in and car ran fine for 1200 miles, including a long road trip. 

Then today, I started the car after 2 nights and a day of sitting (had it on a tender). Let it warm up for 2 minutes, back out of driveway, shift into D and boom, it threw a CEL and Transmission MIL and was stuck in Reverse (IPS car), although car was actually in Neutral as it kept rolling without parking brake. Engine was still running. THESE WERE THE SAME EXACT CONDITIONS AS THE LAST TIME IT HAPPENED - cold start, shifting from R to D when car is on a slope as my driveway and street slope backwards. 

I disconnected the battery and it immediately allowed the car to go into Park, then I was able to clear the codes with my OBD-II scanner and everything is back to normal. For now. 

However, here are the codes and freeze frame data I pulled this time. Any guesses as to what's going on?

Screenshot_20181228-073348.png

Screenshot_20181228-073304.png

Screenshot_20181228-073354.png

Screenshot_20181228-073400.png

Screenshot_20181228-073836.png

Edited by xxaarraa

Hey guys, I think I narrowed it down a bit more. Both times this condition happened, it threw a P1909. Reading about it on Lotus's official IPS documentation (http://vsic.lotuscars.com/system/files/documents/sn_fa_automatic transmission_evora_0.pdf), it's a Tranny range selector motor error. 

Malfunction Criteria: • The range selector feedback shows the actual position of the selector motor to be outside of +/- 5% tolerance of the learnt position.

Potential failure modes • Lost motion in the connecting rod • Loose motor mounts • Incorrectly set rod length Diagnostic Mask: •

The TCU fault light and ECU MIL will be illuminated if fault is present.

Now, anyone know where the range selector motor is mounted on the IPS and if its accessible enough for me to check its mounts??

Edited by xxaarraa