free hit
counters
the things that could be wrong with a lotus - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
tom kilner

the things that could be wrong with a lotus

I'm preparing to take out the engine and finding all those familisr things.

1333358590_2018-12-1311_00_18.jpg.2aaf8e57393cecfe07e3fb748fb4208c.jpg

This started leaking when I disturbed the paint. I thought I would braze it up, butthen i looked inside...186082980_2018-12-1310_59_54.jpg.f2917d397ec962010f4d2253aebee404.jpg

🤐

Then while we're on the cooling system,  the radiator doesn't leak,  but was only held in place by the cooling fan wiring:1276621028_2018-12-1310_59_17.thumb.jpg.e65a333568ed182346a6a9a5471cfc05.jpg

All four corners broken,  although the steel looks like it could clean up. Can I just braze this lot back together? 

• Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Personally I would put some vinegar inside the coolant tank to see how bad the rot is. I would definitely buy a new radiator.

Good idea with the vinegar Mike.I'll pour some in tomorrow.

My feelings were the other way round though - new header tank thirty quid and try to save the rad - all the complicated brassy bits of the radiator looked good just need to"fix" the frame... I will pull it apart and see what happens.

The steel frame lifted off the rad - all four corners look lead soldered and currently broken. I'm cleaning it up , repaint and see if I can resolder with gas, maybe just a blowtorch.573051183_2018-12-1411_03_20.jpg.6ba589edff96c2ca0684a580d0a33893.jpgThe expansion tank looks OK on the outside,  so I think it's perforated.  I could use some sort of tank seal maybe, if I'm going to save it?

I think it might have been riveted a long time ago Steve.

20190210_122711.thumb.jpg.28c98966759ab89fea478b032b63e6c6.jpg

Now you can see the clutch fork has been "uprated" with about half a pound of mig wire.

Are they really that expensive?

• Confused 1

I presume A,  it was broken and it was welded rather than source a new one,  B it was found to have stress cracks when a new clutch was been fitted and a poor welder wanted more  practice :)  C  general madness....    

For the swirl pot and radiator i would look at alloy,  I think elite ones can be purchased cheap from China off ebay and will aid cooling and add lightness for little money,  the swirl/header tank,  send it off to one of the companys on ebay that make bespoke pots,  all adds lightness and will outlast the car.  

Also keeps the chapman ethos force strong :)

A

Advice taken - thanks.

Now the sorting compressor is there to stop the remains of the crossmember taking my head off as I'm lifting the body. H&S rules

20190222_135058.thumb.jpg.791e54218e0c4109b676bc955d426b56.jpg

Amazing to think this had an mot last year and has been stored inside since.

Makes replacing the chassis seem like it was a really good idea

I think that Chassis was adhering the the Chapman adage of adding lightness.....

Thank goodness your swapping out the chassis... 

• Haha 2

That is a really bad chassis. Amazing how it had an MOT. Still, it's in good hands now. Looking forward to more progress. :)

It's getting there......

That's amazing that it got an MOT 12months ago! If this failed in a spirited drive would the rear suspension. Just collapse?

I could feel uneven binding at the back end,  pulling a little one way and the other, and hear a scraping noise.

I found this was due to the weight of the body pushing the rear crossmember down onto the brake drum. Lifting the body off caused said crossmember to fail upwards due to the suspension spring. Safe!

In use,  I can see two possible disasters:

Friction between the chassis and the rear drums could cause a fire;

Strong sideways forces like fast cornering could cause the rear suspension assembly to fail leading to loss of control.

The lesson is: don't ignore noise and strange handling. oh and don't "trust" an MOT certificate.

Check your own car,  check your friend's car,  check any s1 elite/eclat you see.🤕

The bits of the chassis you could see looked OK.

On 02/22/2019 at 18:12, Straker said:

I think that Chassis was adhering the the Chapman adage of adding lightness.....

And....

1138331777_2019-03-0614_47_23.jpg.868c05f177ee993f992a6be12d3d4041.jpg

On 02/22/2019 at 18:12, Straker said:

...adding a bit more lightness with a grinder on the clutch plate

professionally balanced? :)

• Haha 1

It's getting there......

I remember the MOT regs changed though, regarding corrosion,  Testers used to go mad with the metal pointy hammer and make holes bigger ! Think it is a rubber hammer now ?

Also corrosion points/distances changed from structual points iirc,  Also is the rotten area fairly hidden by the body ?  

I love the elites and eclats and this one area that would make me purchase a car with the chassis already changed to Galvanised. :)

A

And the next unsurprising things...IMG_20190517_080319.jpg.483f23ae808ede7dd93761af533c40af.jpg

For the rear seatbelt bolt to pull out of the mounting would still take considerable force as it would have to rip a 2 inch hole in the body to get the welded nuts out. That much force would definitely have ripped these babies apart.

• Like 2

hope your new engine has some more horses.... to compensate for the lightness your not replacing.......

looking at your old chassis and the seatbelt mounts is a great reminder of the limitations of the MOT system to buyers

My seat belt mounts came off in two halves!

The tidy stainless lb replacements probably weigh less than the portion of the rusty angle iron that was still left bolted to the car. I think rear seatbelt mounts were fitted after the lightness thingy had left the building.

Thosw bolts are so large though I'm tempted by some quality titanium fasteners here!